So this is going to be interesting! This Challenge was created by Jesse the Reader on Youtube.
HOW IT WORKS:
Using numbers to lead you to specific books on your bookshelf, see if you can answer the following questions about the books without looking them up!
I have 5 cases and 5-6 shelves on each case. But some shelves don't have books so I will just loop back around until I get the that number. I will do the same with the books if I don't have that many books on the same shelf. I also used google random number generator to get all my numbers. I went ahead and got all the numbers written out to the questions and then went to the shelves and wrote the title of each book that corresponded to the numbers so I haven't even pulled these off the shelf yet. I will do that when I look to see if I'm right or wrong.
1. Without looking at the description, tell us what the book is about.
Bookcase 1, Shelf 6, Book 7
Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
Ok easy, I've read this book a dozen times. A bunch of adolescent wizards attend school, only for a basilisk to run rampant through the school petrifying those who look it in the eyes. The basilisk was set loose on the school by Tom Riddle, also known as Lord Voldemort.
2. Without looking it up, what is the genre of this book?
Bookcase 1, Shelf 2, Book 23
Book: Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
Another easy one (yes I have two shelves with Harry Potter on them). YA Fantasy
3. Without looking it up, what is the main character's name?
Bookcase 3, Shelf 5, Book 11
Book: Extras by Scott Westerfeld
Oh, it's been a long time since I've read this one and I don't think it's the same main character as the first three Uglies books. That I think was Tally, but I'm 99% sure she's not in this one.
I had to look. I was right in the regard that it's not Tally. Main character is Aya Fuse.
4. Without looking, name a side character.
Bookcase 3, Shelf 3, Book 22
Book: Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab
Just one? There's Lila Bard, Rhy Maresh, Alucard Emery, The Danes... I could go on.
5. Guess how many pages the book has without looking! (if you guess 25 above or below the number, you win)
Bookcase 2, Shelf 3, Book 28
Book: The Glass Spare by Lauren DeStefano
Oh boy. I'm thinking it's in the 300's so I'm going with 324? Ok... way off. According to Goodreads it's 402 pages.
6. Without looking it up, what rating did you give this book? If you land on a book you haven't read, pick a new set of numbers.
Bookcase 5, Shelf 4, Book 4
Book: Champion by Marie Lu
I think I rated this 4 stars? Yup. 4 stars.
7. Without looking, where does this book take place?
Bookcase 5, Shelf 3, Book 23
Book: Firefight by Brandon Sanderson
Oh boy. Finally a book I haven't read. I'm going to go pretty broad and guess in space? I honestly have no idea other than the covers are gorgeous and I keep being told his books are amazing.
Haha I was way off. So according to Goodreads, this takes place in Babylon, formerly Manhattan.
8. Without looking, what are the parent's names?
Bookcase 3, Shelf 6, Book 30
Book: Catching Stars by Cayla Keenan
So I haven't read this one either. But I'm just going to go on a limb and say no parents are mentioned. That's a good guess right?
So after a google search, I'm not finding any names listed anywhere. I could be wrong, and won't know until I read the book so I'm calling this a temporary win.
9. Without looking at the hardback, what color is the book under the dust jacket?
Bookcase 5, Shelf 1, Book 4
Book: Velocity by Dean Koontz
I guessing black. Most of my hardcovers are black.
Yup, it's black. And to my surprise, the author's signature is embossed on it as well. I learned something!
10. Without looking, is there anything on the hardback? Like an imprint or an image of some sort?
Bookcase 5, Shelf 4, Book 18
Book: Legend by Marie Lu - This is a paperback so I'm going to reroll
Bookcase 1, Shelf 4, Book 34
Book: Renegades by Marissa Meyer
First gut reaction is yes. Let me go check.
And I'm wrong. There is nothing but a gorgeous blue book underneath the dust jacket.
11. Without taking the dust jacket off, what is the color of the font on the hardback?
Bookcase 2, Shelf 6, Book 24
Book: Asylumn by Madeleine Roux - Another paperback. Rolling again
Bookcase 4, Shelf 3, Book 23
Book: Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick
I'm thinking gold?
Close... it was a rose gold color
12. Without looking, do the chapters have titles or are they just numbered?
Bookcase 4, Shelf 4, Book 11
Book: Crier's War by Nina Varela
Honestly no idea. I haven't read this book yet. But I'm going to go with just numbers. I very rarely find books with chapter titles anymore.
I was right. Just numbers. But the decoration with the numbers is beautiful.
13. Without looking at the book cover, does it have an award on it?
Bookcase 3, Shelf 3, Book 15
Book: A Gathering of Shadows by VE Schwab
No it doesn't. It should however!
Double checked and I was right. No awards.
14. Without looking, does this book have any author blurbs on the front cover?
Bookcase 3, Shelf 5, Book 3
Book: Finale by Stephanie Garber
Hmmm. I don't think it's on the front. I believe they are on the back.
Correct again. They are on the back.
15. Without looking, does the book have a description on the back?
Bookcase 1, Shelf 4, Book 3
Book: And I Darken by Kiersten White
No, it's a hardcover, so the description is usually on the front flap.
And I'm wrong. There is a description on the front flap but there is also a small section about the book on the back. That's what I get for being over confident.
16. Without looking, does the book have an author photo?
Bookcase 5, Shelf 4, Book 8
Book: The Last Star by Rick Yancey
Yes. There is an author photo in the very back of the book. Whew!
17. Without looking it up, is this author using a pen name?
Bookcase 2, Shelf 4, Book 21
Book: The Valiant by Lesley Livingston
I'm going with no? Honestly no idea.
Nope. That is her real name.
18. Without peaking, what POV is this book written in? 1st or 3rd?
Bookcase 2, Shelf 2, Book 12
Book: TRUEL1F3 by Jay Kristoff
I just bought this trilogy and haven't read it yet. But I believe it's in 3rd.
Yes, it's in 3rd.
19.Without looking are there any pictures or graphics in this book?
Bookcase 1, Shelf 3, Book 11
Book: Betrayed by Kristin Cast and P.C. Cast
Oh high school was such a long time ago. I don't think so.
Nope. Not even on the chapter headings.
20. Without looking, does it have an epilogue?
Bookcase 1, Shelf 6, Book 1
Book: Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
No. I just read this book a couple months ago and it does not.
21. Without looking, is this book signed?
Bookcase 5, Shelf 6, Book 14
Book: Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz
I don't even have to get up and look. No. This book is not signed.
22. Without looking, do the page numbers have a design above or below them or none at all?
Bookcase 5, Shelf 1, Book 2
Book: The Face of Death by Cody McFadyen
I'm going with none at all on this one, but I do need to check.
Just plain ole numbers, no designs.
23. Without looking, do the chapter headers have designs on them?
Bookcase 1, Shelf 2, Book 27
Book: Stain by AG Howard
Yes! There are gorgeous designs of thorny vines, roses and spiderwebs with each of the chapter headers!
24. Without looking, are the acknowledgements in the front or back of the book?
Bookcase 3, Shelf 5, Book 16
Book: The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
I'm going with in the back of the book. That's where they usually are right?
Yup in the back.
25. Without looking, what year was this book published?
Bookcase 2, Shelf 4, Book 14
Book: Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donnelly
Uh. No idea. 2016? That sounds like a good guess.
Ooo, close. January 27,2017 according to google.
26. Without looking, what year did you read this book?
Bookcase 5, Shelf 4, Book 11
Book: Prodigy by Marie Lu
So I honestly don't know and I wasn't tracking my books like I do now. I remember buying this series because a Barnes and Noble employee recommended it to me after seeing the other books I had in my arms. She also brought me a basket because I couldn't hold another book. I'm guessing 2016 but I could be wrong.